TAN stands for Tax deduction Account Number. It’s a 10 digit alpha numeric number issued by income tax department. First 4 digits are alphabetic then followed by 5 numbers and one alphabet at the end. Each number issued by income tax department is unique. TAN has to be obtained by those peoples who are responsible for deducting tax at source from the payment or income paid by them.
TAN is a mandatory requirement for those peoples who are responsible for deducting income tax at source (Section 203A of income tax act). You need to quote this number in all correspondence to income tax department related to TDS. You also have to quote TAN in TDS certificates issued to the payee.
Where to apply for TAN
You need to apply for TAN in form no 49B with any of the TIN facilitation center (https://www.tin-nsdl.com/tin-facilities.php) managed by NSDL or any UTI approved center accepting TAN application. You can also apply online by using the online facility of NSDL site.
After your application you will receive TAN at the address provided in the application form 49B.
Who can obtain TAN
Any person responsible for deducting tax at source can apply for a TAN. Based on this followings are lists of persons who can apply for TAN;
- Government Authorities
- Hindu undivided family (HUF)
- Partnership Firm
- Association of Person (AOP), Body of individual (BOI)
- Charitable Trust
How to apply for a TAN
Apply for TAN with TIN facilitation center
Applying for TAN with a TIN FC is very easy. You visit any TIN facilitation center and fill up form 49B available with them. You can also download and fill it up on your own but we suggest you to fill it up there so that any mistake you do can be checked or confirmed from them. Hand over all the documents required to them with a cash amount of Rs. 62. They will process your application and will hand over an acknowledgment copy to you. You TAN will be sent you by post to the address mentioned in application form.
How to apply for a TAN Online
You can apply TAN online by visiting NSDL site (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/form49B.html). Followings are steps to be followed in filling up the TAN application form;
- From the down below of the screen select your category to which you belong
- Based on the category you select a form will be opened up. You need to just fill up the form and click on submit button down below to submit the form.
- Before submitting the form you need to select your online mode of payment. This TAN application will cost you only Rs. 62 including service taxes.
- Once you submitted based your choice of payment system will ask you to make payment.
- Confirmation screen with all the details filled in will be displayed for your review. Click on Submit to submit your application.
- Acknowledgement will be displayed in a specific format. Take a print out and sign it at the required place.
- Proper seal if required with your signature should be fixed on the application form.
- Send the acknowledgment to following address as soon as possible as the application form at below address should reach within 15 days of time;
If you have selected the mode of payment as demand draft or cheque then that should be attached with the application form.
Use of other persons bank account for payment of TAN application fee
If you do not have a bank account or due to some reason you cannot make payment then you can use following person’s credit card/debit card/net banking account;
|Category of applicant||Authorized person whose credit card / debit card / net banking can be used for making the payment|
|Company/Branch/Division of a company||Any Director of the Company|
|Individual (Sole Proprietorship) / Branch of individual business||Self|
|Hindu Undivided Family (HUF)||Karta|
|Partnership Firm / Branch of firm||Any partner of the Partnership Firm|
|Association of Persons/Body of Individuals/ Association of Persons (Trusts)/Artificial Juridical Person||Authorized signatory covered under section 140 of Income Tax Act, 1961|
How to check your TAN Application status
You can get your TAN application status online by visiting this link.
Like in the case of PAN application here also you need to fill up your acknowledgment number or the name with date of incorporation.
Request for change or correction in Tan data
You can request for change or correction in TAN data by using online facilities (https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/tan/ChangeRequest.html) or by visiting personally to a TIN facilitation center. The process as discussed for Tan application is same. Only thing is you need to specify the changes that you want to make in your TAN data. You need to submit following documents along with your application for correction or change in Tan data;
- Proof of TAN
- If you do not have TAN then you can submit the Tan allotment letter
- Document proof to support the changes you want to make to your TAN
Contact address of NSDL
For any queries on TAN you can reach to the help desk of NSDL. Followings are all the contact details;
- Phone Number: 020 – 27218080
- Fax Number: 020 – 27218081
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SMS: NSDLTAN <space> Acknowledgement No. & send to 57575 to obtain application status