E-filing of income tax return is easy like paying electricity bills online or using net banking facility. You just need to have the right details to fill up the form that is required to be filled with IT department.
In the first step you need to gather all the details that are relevant for efilling of your income tax return. Following things will be required for an individual to e-file his IT return;
- Form 16
- Proof of investment for IT deduction
- PAN card
- Bank Account Number
- Bank IFSC code (if you are filling your IT return for assessment year 2011-2012 then your bank MICR number)
- Tax payment challan number details if any self assessment tax paid by you.
Follow below steps for efilling of your IT return
- You need to get yourself registered at IT website with following details;
- PAN Number
- Your Name
- Father’s Name
- Email ID and Mobile Number
All these details are available in your PAN card. While registering yourself you need to enter your password which will be required at the time of logging in to the site. While registering yourself you need to enter your user ID which will be your PAN card number.
- After login, you can view your TDS details that your employer or payer has deducted from your source of income. You can get this option under “My Account” option. This form will show you all your TDS details and will be helpful to match with form 16 and 16a that you have received from the deductor.
- Download the IT return form that is applicable to you based on your income or the types of person. You need to download the form applicable to the assessment year. You can get these forms under the head “Download” option available on the top of the menu and then select “ITR forms”. Select the correct assessment year and download the form that is applicable to you.
- Enter all the details into the form based on 26AS or form 16 or 16A as available to you.
- You have the option of calculating tax in the form itself. After entering all the details in to the form you need to click on “Calculate Tax”.
- Generate xml file by selecting generate button available there in the form.
- Now you need to select “e-file” option and then click on upload your return option.
- By selecting the ITR form applicable to you, assessment year and ITR xml file generated, you need to select submit button to finish efile.
You will get confirmation that your IT return has been received by IT department.
After getting a confirmation you need to send the signed acknowledgement copy to CPC Bangalore office within 120 days of uploading the income tax return.
If IT department did not get your ITRV then you will receive a rejection letter either through mail or a SMS to your mobile. Before rejecting they will intimate you regarding your non receipt of your ITRV.