Any person who has filled his income tax return online can rectify it within the rules and regulations of IT act, 1961. If there is any mistake in the income tax return which is apparent and the perosn or assessee has received an order under section 143 (1) of IT act 1961 then the changes to the mistake can be done online.
Rectification of your ITR means, correcting the mistake/error and refilling it for the assessment year seeking rectification.
For rectification of your IT return online, you need to login to your income tax account with your ID as PAN number and the password that you have selected at the time of registration.
Steps for rectification of your income tax return online
- Login to your account in IT efilling website. After logging in under “My Account” tab you need to click on the rectification request tab.
- You will be provided with a rectification form where you need to select the assessment year in which you want to have the rectification with the latest communication reference number and the CPC Order number that you have received. You can find all these details from the income tax order you have received from IT office.
- After uploading the form a rectification number with an acknowledgement will be displayed. Keep a copy of the acknowledgement for your future reference.
- The taxpayer has the option of withdrawing the rectification request within 7 days from the date of filling the rectification request.
- You request for rectification will be processed at CPC, Bangalore office
- Based on your request a rectification order under section 154 of IT act will be issued to you or else the rectification request will be rejected.
Certain point to have in mind for rectification of your income tax return online
- Only one rectification request for your IT return can be filled online for one assessment year.
- If you have withdrawn your request then you can again raise a fresh rectification request for rectification of your IT return online.
- Rectification means a mistake apparent on the return. If you are thinking of filling a rectification request for changes to your income details in ITR then file a revised return online instead of rectification request.
- Rectification request can not be filled for more then last five assessment year.