ITR4 is to be used by an individual or a Hindu Undivided Family who is carrying out a proprietary business or profession. No document (including TDS certificate) should be attached to ITR4. All such documents enclosed with ITR Return Form will be detached and returned to the person filing the return.
Manner of filing ITR4
ITR4 can be filed with the Income Tax Department in any of the following ways, –
- by furnishing the return in a paper form;
- by furnishing the return electronically under digital signature;
- by transmitting the data in the return electronically and thereafter submitting the verification of the return in Return Form ITR-V;
- by furnishing a Bar-coded return.
A resident assessee having any assets (including financial interest in any entity) located outside India or signing authority in any account located outside India, shall fill out schedule FA and furnish the return in the manner provided at either (2) or (3).
From the assessment year 2013-14 onwards all the tax payers having total income of more than 5 lakh rupees are required to furnish the return in the manner provided at point number 2 or 3 above.
Also in case of a taxpayer to whom Schedule FSI and Schedule TR apply, he has to furnish the return in the manner provided at point number 3.
Where the ITR4 Return Form is furnished in the manner mentioned at (iii), the tax payer should print out two copies of Form ITR-V. One copy of ITR-V, duly signed by the assessee, has to be sent by ordinary post to Post Bag No. 1, Electronic City Office, Bangaluru–560100 (Karnataka). The other copy may be retained by the assessee for his record.
The codes while filing ITR4 for nature of business to be filled in ‘Part-A- Nature of business’ are as under-
|(1) Manufacturing Industry||Agro-based industries||0101|
|Automobile and Auto parts||0102|
|Drugs and Pharmaceuticals||0105|
|Electronics including Computer Hardware||0106|
|Fertilizers, Chemicals, Paints||0108|
|Flour & Rice Mills||0109|
|Food Processing units||0110|
|Marble & Granite||0111|
|Petroleum and Petrochemicals||0113|
|Power and energy||0114|
|Printing & Publishing||0115|
|Textiles, handloom, Power looms||0120|
|Vanaspati & Edible Oils||0123|
|(2) Trading||Chain Stores||0201|
|(3) Commission Agents||General Commission Agents||0301|
|(5) Contractors||Civil Contractors||0501|
|(6) Professionals||Chartered Accountants, Companies Secretaries, etc.||0601|
|Computer training/educational and coaching institutes||0705|
|I.T. enabled services, BPO service providers||0709|
|Software development agencies||0711|
|Travel agents, tour operators||0713|
|Financial service providers||0804|
|Non-Banking Finance Companies||0807|
|Share Brokers, Sub-brokers, etc.||0808|
|Cable T.V. productions||0901|
|Motion Picture Producers||0904|
|(10)Other Sector [other than (1) to (9) above]||1001|
Obligation to file ITR4
- Every individual and HUF has to furnish the return of his income if his total income before allowing deductions under section 10A or section 10B or section 10BA or Chapter VI-A (i.e., if his gross total income referred to in item 10 of Part B-TI as increased by item 6 of Schedule 10A, item f of Schedule 10A and item f of Schedule 10A of this Form) exceeds the maximum amount which is not chargeable to income tax [Rs. 2,00,000/- in case of individuals below the age of 60 yearsand HUF, and Rs. 2,50,000/- in case of individuals who are of the age of 60 years or more but less than eighty years at any time during the financial year 2012-13, and Rs. 5,00,000/- in the case of individuals who are of the age of 80 years or more at any time during the financial year 2012-13].
- The losses, if any, (item-15 of Part B-TI of this Form) shall not be allowed to be carried forward unless the return has been filed on or before the due date.
- The deduction under sections 10A, 10B, 80-IA, 80-IAB, 80-IB and 80-IC shall not be allowed unless the return has been filed on or before the due date.