An application under sub-section (1) or sub-section (1A) or sub-section (2) or sub-section (3) of section 139A for allotment of a permanent account number (PAN) shall be made in Form No. 49A or 49AA, as the case may be.
The application referred above shall be made,—
- in cases where the function of allotment of permanent account number (PAN) under section 139A has been assigned by the Chief Commissioner or Commissioner to any particular Assessing Officer, to that Assessing Officer;
- in any other case, to the Assessing Officer having jurisdiction to assess the applicant.
The application referred for PAN Card shall be made,—
- in a case where the total income of the person or the total income of any other person in respect of which he is assessable under the Income tax Act during any financial year exceeds the maximum amount which is not chargeable to income-tax and he has not been allotted any permanent account number, on or before the 31st day of May of the assessment year for which such income is assessable;
- in the case of a person not falling under clause (i) above, but carrying on any business or profession, the total sales, turnover or gross receipts of which are or is likely to exceed five lakh rupees in any financial year and who has not been allotted any permanent account number, before the end of that financial year;
- in the case of a person who is required to furnish a return of income under sub-section (4A) of section 139 and who has not been allotted any permanent account number, before the end of the financial year;
- in the case of a person who is entitled to receive any sum or income or amount, on which tax is deductible under Chapter XVII-B in any financial year, before the end of such financial year.
The application referred above in respect of persons shall be filed in either Form 49A or Form 49AA as specified and shall be accompanied by the documents as proof of identity and address of the applicant.