Each General ledger Account in SAP is set up according to the definition of chart of accounts. You have two views while creating a general ledger master data: 1) General Data 2) Company Code Data.
The company code data set up in General Ledger Master is company code specific where as the general data is client specific. Each and every General Ledger Account created in SAP must be created within an account group under the chart of accounts.
Following tabs in a General Ledger master belongs to different views that we discussed above;
- Under General Data
- Keyword / translation
- Under Company Code data
- Control Data
After Setting up your Enterprise structure, you need to configure the General Ledger Accounting.
Followings are the steps of configuration and certain transaction codes used in general ledger sub module of SAP FI, which will help you in analyzing and posting document in SAP.
- Check the filed status and Account Groups for which the General Ledger Masters are going to be created
Transaction Code: OBD4
- Check the field status that you are going to assign to the General Ledger Masters to handle the fields of document posting.
Transaction Code: OBC4
- Define retained earning account
Transaction Code: OB53
Retained earning is the first step before creating the general ledger master record as without creating it you can not precede for master data creation.
- Create General Ledger Master Data
Transaction Code: FS00
- Change, Delete of Block the General Ledger Master Data
Transaction Code: FS00
The change, delete and blocking of general ledgers are managed from the creation screen of the gl master.
- Manage Tolerance group for GL entry
Transaction Code: OBAO
The account groups created under the chart of accounts are segregated into two types;
- Balance Sheet Accounts
- Profit and Loss Accounts
The balance sheet accounts are carried forward to there respective account at the year end closing where as the closing balance of the Profit and loss A/c is taken to a single account called “retained earning” and shown under the head reserve and surplus is balance sheet.
Each category of subsidiary ledger in accounts payable, accounts receivable and asset accounting should have a separate reconciliation account specifically defined for that purpose.
Transaction codes used by end user in general ledger posting
- Display changes to GL Accounts centrally: FS04
- Display Changes in Chart of Accounts: FSP4
- Display Changes in Company Code: FSS4
- FBL3N – Account Line Item Analysis
- FB03 – GL Document Display
- FB08 – Individual Document Reversal
- FB50 – Posting GL Document
- FV50 – Edit or Park GL Accounts
- F-65 – General Document Parking
- FBR2 – Posting with Reference Document
- F-02: General Posting
- F-03 – GL Manual Account Clearing
- F-04 – GL Account clearing
- F.13 – GL Account Automatic Clearing
- FBRA – GL Reset Cleared Items
- F.05 – Foreign Currency Valuation
- F.07 – Carry Forward Receivables Payables
- F.16 – Balance carry forward of GL Accounts
- F.19 – GR_IR Regrouping
- KALC – CO Reconciliation with FI
- MR11 – GRIR Clearing Account Maintenance
- S_ALR_87003642 – Open and Close Posting Periods
- FB02 – GL Document Change
- S_ALR_87012284 – Financial Statements & Trial Balance
- S_ALR_87012289 – Compact Document Journal
- Display Document Change: FB02
- Display Document: FB03
- Display Changes in Document: FB04
- Change Line Items: FB09
- Display Balances: FS10N
- Display Line Items: FBL3N