Resume is an essential tool through which you can market your skills to your interviewer. To build an effective resume, you have to keep it short and sweet. If you are a fresher and looking for a entry level jobs then your resume should not be more than 2 pages long. Below we have discussed some of the core elements of a resume which you have to mention while preparing your resume. Followings are the most essential part of a resume;
- Contact information: You can place your contact information either at the bottom of the page or at the top of the page. The best place we suggest is the top of your CV along with your full name so that interviewer will it at one place.
- Objective: You should state your objective clearly in one or two lines. It should state the kind of challenging work that you are looking at and how you are the best for it.
- Profile: Profile will highlight your CV and it should also support your objective. Have this in a summary form to explain your resume or you can put 5 to 6 bullet points which will carry the most important factor to the interviewer.
- Experience: Start with your experience with the most recent company and end with the last company you worked for.
- Accomplishment: Put down you accomplishments below the experience part of your resume.
- Education: List down your educational qualification in chronological order or of your choice having the most relevant qualification at the top.
- Professional affiliation and awards: List down if you have any affiliation and awards below educational qualification.
All these information are required by interviewer. Please remember, during the first phase of CV scanning, if your interviewer did not get all these details then their are chances that you may get rejected. Like we said above, use your resume as a tool to market your skills and experience.
Five things to be remembered while drafting your CV
- You need not write “Curriculum vitae” or “Resume” on the top or in any part of your resume.
- You should not state your salary expectation. It can be negotiated after you are done with your interview.
- You should not give reference. You can write “reference available on request” and then provide it when it is asked for.
- You should not state the reason of leaving your present organization.
- Not necessary that your resume should carry a photograph.
Please remember, the resume should be drafted in such a way that it will speak for you. You can add additional relevant job specific details in addition to these core elements of resume. Please let us know your feedback and suggestions.