From May 2012 onwards if your employer has filled electronic Challan cum return then you can see your EPF account balance online by registering yourself as a member in EPFO website. To register as a member you need to have followings in your hand;
- Mobile number
- Email Account
- Any of following document’s number
- Bank Account Number
- Voter ID Card
- Driving License
- Passport Number
- Ration Card Number
The best part of such e-passbook facility of EPFO is that, you should not remember your user ID or password.
Your mobile number and any document number like PAN, ADHAR CARD or Passbook number is required to login.
Member who has registered in EPFO website can view up to 10 accounts maintained under different organisations subject to maximum one account for one organisation.
If you want the balance of earlier EPF account to get transferred to new EPF account then you need to submit PF transfer form 13 for it.
Steps to get register for epassbook;
- Visit this URL to register yourself as a member at EPFO site to view and download your EPF account (e-passboook) online. After reaching the member portal screen click on “register” or “click here to register” to get yourself register for the EPFO account.
- Enter all the details as asked for and click on get PIN. 4 digit PIN will be sent to your mobile number. Now enter the PIN that has been delivered in space of “Enter Authorization PIN” by accepting the disclaimer.
- Login details will be sent to your mobile number that has been entered at the time of registration. With that information you can login to the member’s portal. In addition to these details an email verification link will be sent to your email ID. You need to click that link in order to confirm your registration.
- Now click on “Please click here to continue further” link available below the screen.
- From download epassbook option click on download epassbook tab.
- Select the state where your account is maintained. Basically this is the state where your company’s registered office is located. If your registered office is in Bangalore then select Karnataka as your state or else select some other state according to the location of registered office.
- Look at your EPF account number. Take the first two words of your EPF account number. If it is PY/KRP then EPFO office is in Whitefield. The first word of your account number indicates the region code and the second word will indicate office code. Like in this case region code “PY” and office code “KRP” are for KRPURAM (WHITEFIELD) office. Based on your number you need to click on the office name.
- Now enter your account number and the characters displayed in the screen. Click on get PIN to generate a PIN which will be sent to you mobile number.
- Enter the PIN in “Enter Authorization PIN” place by selecting the agreed tab of disclaimer. Now click on get details.
With this you can see your EPF account details online. If you find any issues regarding non deposit of contribution to your EPF account then you can take up this issue with your employer.
This is a very good initiative started by EPFO but we do not know how far they will succeed as EPF balances should be known either to the employee or employer. With this facility one can access anyone’s EPF balance with some basic information even though they are not authorized to do so.