Import Export Code or IEC in short, is provided by Director General of Foreign Trade, ministry of commerce, government of India. Its a 10 digit special code required for a person looking at making an import into India or exporting a product or service out of India.
To get issued an import export code or IEC number for your business, you are required to submit following documents along with two copies of application in the Aayaat Niryaat Form 2A (ANF 2A) as prescribed by DGFT office.
- Covering letter requesting for issue of Import Export Code or IEC Number in your letter head
- Certificate from your banker in bank’s letter head – specific format prescribed by DGFT
- Demand draft for Rs 250 in favour of the concerned Regional Office of DGFT. Money can also be paid through Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT)
- Copy of PAN card – self attested
- Four Passport size photograph
- For delivery of IEC number, one self addressed envelope with adequate postage stamp not less than Rs 30 to reach your office.
- Government registration certificate like certificate of incorporation, VAT registration.
- Memorandum of association and Article of association in case of companies
- Partnership deed in case of partnership firm.
- In case of partnership firm and companies, list of partners/directors are to be submitted with details like residential address, PIN Code, Phone number and father’s name in the letter head.
Each individual page of the IEC application form and attached documents must be signed by the applicant or the authorized person.
These documents and application forms are to be submitted with the regional director general of foreign trade, ministry of commerce, office in the region where your registered office is situated or registered. It can also be sent by post.
Once the application and the supporting documents are verified, the local Directorate General of Foreign Trade will allot Import Export Code. The IEC number is valid for life and so it’s just a one-time effort. Only one IEC would be issued against a single PAN number.
IEC number allotted to an applicant shall be valid for all its branches / divisions / units / factories.
If you want to import or export goods for your personal consumption then IEC is not required.
Download Application form ANF2A and format for bank certificate