PAN or permanent account number is allotted by the income tax department to all assessees who applied for it. You can apply it online or by submitting a signed copy of form 49A at any TIN FC.
PAN is a unique number that not only represents your tax account with the income tax department but also works as an identity card in many places.
Now a day’s Permanent Account Number is mandatory in many places before you start doing any particular financial transactions. Without a Permanent Account Number, your employer will not pay your salary if it exceeds the basic exemption limit of income tax.
Now the question is how to get this PAN allotted. You can apply for a Permanent Account Number in the following two ways.
- Online to get a physical copy of the PAN card; or
- Through a TIN FC – Authorized centers to get a physical copy of PAN card; or
- online to get e-PAN instantly by using Aadhar number
In this article, we will let you know how to apply for a Permanent Account Number online without visiting anywhere or any income tax office. It’s a very easy process and you can get delivered your Permanent Account Number with some clicks on your browser.
Applying for a Permanent Account Number Online
Before applying for a Permanent Account Number, you need to keep certain things ready as it will be required in the process of filing your application form. Here are the details that you need to keep with yourself before you start;
- Credit card information or net banking ID and password
- Date of birth details
To apply for a pan card online, you need to visit TIN NSDL site. NSDL is a government organization which takes care of the entire process of getting permanent account number and allotment of PAN. Select “form 49A” from the drop-down of application type and “category of the applicant” based on the person for whom you are applying.
If you are applying for yourself, then select “individual” from the drop-down. In case of a company, permanent account number will automatically get allotted at the time of getting certificate of incorporation.
Fill up the application form with all the correct details. Cross-check your name and address with the supporting documents that you will provide along with it.
If you have Aadhaar, then you can avail the facility of paperless Permanent Account Number by selecting e-KYC based application. You also have option of forwarding hard copies.
If you select, e-KYC & e-sign (paperless), then no need to upload Photos, Sign, and supporting documents. The photograph used in the Aadhaar card would be printed in a Permanent Account Number card.
Process your application form by clicking on submit bottom available below the screen.
In case of physical document submission, after successful processing of the application, you have to take a print out of the acknowledgement and affix your recent photo and send the signed form along with all the documents to the following address. Envelope in which you are sending the application form must be super-scribed with “APPLICATION FOR PAN – your acknowledgment number here”. Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016
After submitting your application form an acknowledgment number will be displayed which can also be seen on the receipt generated after submission of application. With that number now you can track your status online.
For further information you can read NSDL guidelines and help.
If during the process of your application you are finding any problem then please let us know. We will be very happy to assist you.
You are required to quote your permanent account number in all communication to tax department and to parties from payments are to be received net TDS.
Instant E-PAN through Aadhaar
Facility for allotment of Instant PAN is provided for those applicants who possess a valid Aadhaar number.
Here are the steps you need to follow to get e-PAN;
- Visit the income tax e-filing website (link given at the end of the article).
- Type in your valid Aadhaar number and submit the OTP generated on the registered mobile number. Your mobile number must be registered with UDAI to get OTP. If it’s not registered or attached to Aadhaar number, you need to visit any Aadhaar center to get it registered.
- After completing the process, a 15-digit acknowledgment number gets generated.
- After submitting your request, you can check the status of the request at any time by providing your valid Aadhaar number and on a successful allotment can download the PAN.
- The e-KYC data of that Aadhaar number is exchanged with the Unique Identification Authority of India(UIDAI). After due process of e KYC data in the Income-tax database, you get an e-PAN. You will receive a copy of the PAN in the e-mail id registered with the Aadhaar database.
After applying successfully electronic PAN will get issued in PDF format to applicants, which is free of cost.
To apply for instance e-PAN, you need to visit income tax efiling site through this link.
Remember, you should not have another income tax PAN while applying for e-PAN.Possession of more than one permanent account number will result in penalty under section 272B(1) of Income-tax Act.
Important points and clarification on electronic permanent account number or e-PAN
Here are certain important points on e-PAN;
- Government vide Directorate of Income-tax (Systems) Notification 7/2018 dated 27.12.2018 has clarified that electronically issued digitally signed e-PAN is a valid mode of issue of PAN. Here is the link to the notification and link to the format of PAN.
- Electronic permanent account number or e-PAN is paperless, online, and free of cost. No paperwork is required.
- Only those who do not have a Permanent Account Number but have an Aadhaar number from UIDAI, and have registered their mobile number with Aadhaar, can apply.
- Foreign citizens are not allowed to apply for Permanent Account Number through e-KYC mode as they will not be having Aadhaar.
- Address as available with UIDAI in the Aadhaar database will be taken as address in the PAN database.
- For any difficulties in getting instant PAN allotment, you can contact the department by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link to apply for E-PAN.
Link to check your e-PAN application status.